Date(s) - 04/14/2023
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Walking Foot Quilting on April 14th from 10 to 4.
Learn to layer your quilt top with batting and backing and then use a walking foot on your regular sewing machine for a beautiful finish. Diane will share some easy tricks and numerous ideas for what to quilt on your project. Get a running start on your quilt and leave with the confidence that you can finish your quilts at home! Bring lunch if you like or plan to order in to save time. Optional: Buy a kit from Mangelsen’s with everything you need for the class, including a panel on which to practice (replaces quilt top on supply list).
Supply List To Bring or Purchase (with discount) at Mangelsen’s
- Sewing machine (don’t forget cords, pedal and Sewing machine manual
- Walking foot attachment
- New 80/12 needles, microtex/sharp, not universals
- Seam guide bar for your machine*
- Quilt top: at least 36 x 36″ but no larger than 40 x 60″ If you prefer, just bring 1 yard of a solid color of fabric and use that as your “quilt top”
- Cotton or cotton blend batting that’s at least 4″ bigger than your quilt top. For example if quilt top is 36 x 48″, batting must be at least 40 x 52″. **Batting: Either of these are good choices, they’re just different sizes: Batting Heirloom Premium Cotton Blend 45in x 60in # HHL45 OR Batting Heirloom Premium Cotton Blend 72in x 90in # HHL72
- Backing fabric the same size as batting
- 1.5″ safety pins for basting, in enough quantity to place every 4″ over your quilt top **Safety pins: # 50374 and # 50273B either/both would work, they’re slightly different sizes, different quantities
- One roll of painter’s tape 2″ or 3″ wide
- Thread for quilting: 50 weight in a color that looks good on all the fabrics in your quilt top, bring options if you’re unsure
- Thread for bobbin: 50 or 60 weight in a color to blend with the backing, bring options
- Hera marker (the small plastic tool) **Hera Marking Tools: Hera Tool for Marking # 490CV-NV
- Sewline mechanical pencil with light-colored chalk **Mechanical pencils with fabric chalk, these are all good options:
Pencil Trio White Black Pink # FAB50030Variety Lead Refill 3ct # FAB50033Fabric Mechanical Pencil White # FAB50037Fabric Mechanical Pencil Pink # FAB50041
- A sense of adventure!
Meet the instructor: Diane Harris is a quilt designer, speaker and teacher. After 11 years as an editor for Quiltmaker magazine, she formed Stash Bandit to present energetic trunk shows and engaging classes for quilters. She is passionate about making scrap quilts and creating interesting original designs, and she never met a fabric she didn’t like. Her work is regularly featured by publications in the US and abroad. Learn more at stashbandit.net and on Instagram, @stashbanditquilts
**Each participants receives 15% off coupon storewide to be used same day of the class**
Bookings are closed for this event.